Ask a college basketball fan what their favorite month of the year is, and odds are that they’ll tell you that it’s March. Why? Because that’s when the NCAA basketball season culminates in a massive nationwide tournament, often called “March Madness” because of the excitement in the air. A sixty eight team tournament takes place, and through seven rounds, a national champion is crowned.
This season has already played host to a number of dramatic moments; upsets, defeats, and overtime thrillers. The first round of the tournament has been no different.
In the first round alone, both 2-seed Kentucky and 6-seed Colorado State fell at the hands of lower ranked teams. With the round of 32 on the horizon, there are more upsets sure to come. Multiple championship favorites have fallen in the first two rounds in previous years. Here’s a list of the upsets through the first round of the tournament:
- (9) Memphis over (8) Boise State
- (9) TCU over (8) Seton Hall
- (9) Creighton over (8) San Diego State
- (10) Miami over (7) USC
- (11) Michigan over (6) Colorado State
- (11) Notre Dame over (6) Alabama
- (11) Iowa State over (6) LSU
- (12) New Mexico State over (5) UConn
- (12) Richmond over (5) Iowa
- (15) Saint Peter’s over (2) Kentucky
Will we see an upset of a top seed in the next round? History tells us it can happen. Watch your favorite teams compete for the national championship.